Halogens are chemicals which, when taken both internally and exposed to externally, tend to produce acne or pimples. They can also cause other skin issues such as chronic dryness or other irritations on the lips, as well as hyperpigmentations. The process tends to be cumulative. Therefore, avoid all or as much as you can of these chemicals when you have been diagnosed to have peri-oral dermatitis or halogen acne.
Halogens and What To Avoid
Halogens are known by their chemical names as: Iodine, Bromine, Chlorine, Fluorine, Cyanine. Astatine is also a halogen, but as it is so rare, unstable, and radioactive it is only found in research contexts.
– Use fluoride-free dental floss, mouthwash, toothpaste and other oral-care products.
– Avoid multivitamins with minerals.
– Avoid steroids in creams, inhalers and nasal sprays.
If some of the above medications and vitamins are necessary, be strict about reducing intake or exposure to halogens everywhere else.
– Use rock salt or, even better, more natural herbs to improve food taste.
– Avoid multivitamins with minerals and vitamin B12.
– Avoid — and be very watchful as this is hidden in many foods — iodized salt in cooking/seasoning, junk foods, processed foods, salt-preserved foods (fish sauce, soy sauce, shrimp paste, etc.).
– Avoid seaweed, kelp in food or supplements and multivitamins; vitamin B12.
– This is also present in thyroid pills for hyperthyroidism. As this medication is necessary, be strict about reducing intake or exposure to halogens everywhere else.
– Avoid most sedatives and sleeping pills. As an alternative, try meditation, yoga, a stricter schedule with a specific bedtime, and melatonin.
– Also present in asthma and cough medicines. If these medication are necessary, be strict about reducing intake or exposure to halogens everywhere else.
– Avoid chlorinated water.
– Avoid mouthwashes with chlorides.
– Avoid swimming pools. If this is not possible, wash off the pool water immediately after swimming. Rinse off at a pool shower and shampoo off from hair and body as quickly as possible.