At VMV HYPOALLERGENICS®
, we take pride in our skintegrity and skintelligence. Since our founding in 1979 by a renowned dermatologist-dermatopathologist, we have been committed to research and evidence-based clinical studies to back up our product claims as well as to further our clinical and academic dermatological scholarship.
Much of our product development stems from the research regularly conducted in at the VMV Skin Research Centre + Clinics (VSRC), which is not always related to VMV product ideas or ingredients. We regularly publish and present studies on skin conditions, case studies, new disease pathways and revelations in skin behavior and treatments. While many of these studies lead to new VMV formulations and some do not, they all contribute to the body of knowledge that goes into each and every VMV product, clinical procedure, and facial service, as well as the uniquely informed customer care that we offer.
Our studies are so good that we are regularly contracted by some of the largest multinational pharmaceutical and laser companies to do their research and clinical trials for them. We are one of the few cosmeceutical, skin care, and cosmetics companies to have the research behind our products and our clinical studies regularly published and presented in peer-reviewed dermatology journals and dermatology conventions around the world.
Below are a few of our published and presented studies. For more on VMV HYPOALLERGENICS®, click here.
1. Verallo-Rowell VM. Photodermatoses in the Philippines. Chapter requested by the Organizing Commiitee editors of the Commemorative Book: Skin and Skin Diseases in Asia for the 22nd World Congress of Dermatology May 2011
2. Verallo-Rowell VM. The Validated Hypoallergenic Cosmetics Rating System: its 30-Year Evolution and Effect on the Prevalence of Cosmetic Reactions. Dermatitis. 22 (2) Mar/Apr 2011
3. Melasma with Hyperpigmentation at classic photosensitivity sites: Photopatch Tests of twenty sequential patients from the Philippines. Oral presentation . Contact Dermatitis 2010: Blending Science with Best Practice A joint meeting of the Experimental Contact Dermatitis Research Group and the American Contact Dermatitis Society. Dallas, Texas. October 14-16, 2010
4. Huang PJM, Verallo-Rowell VM. Clothing contact dermatitis in a general dermatology-patch testing clinic in the Philippines. Poster Presentation, American Contact Dermatitis Society Annual Meeting, March 2010
5. Gregorio-Elizaga Abigail, Verallo-Rowell VM. A double-blind randomized controlled assessment of Cottonique® underwear products vs control among patients with underwear contact dermatitis. Poster Presentation, American Contact Dermatitis Society Annual Meeting, March 2009
6. Verallo-Rowell, VM, Pua JM, Bautista D, Visible Light Photopatch Testing of Common Photocontactants in Female Filipino Adults With and Without Melasma: A Cross-sectional Study. J of Drugs Dermatol February 2008; 7(2): 149-561
7. Pua JM, Bautista D, Verallo-Rowell, VM, Visible Light Photopatch Testing of Common Photocontactants in Female Filipino Adults With and Without Melasma: A Cross-sectional Study. Awarded Poster presentation at the WCD, Argentina, October 2007
8. Verallo-Rowell VM. Oral presentation on: Updates of Therapy in Acne of Pigmented Skin and Co-Chairman, Acne Symposium. Abstracts World Congress of Dermatology (WCD), Buenos Aires, Argentina. October 1-5, 2007
9. Chua E, Verallo-Rowell VM. Coconut Oil Extract (2% Monolaurin) Cream in the Treatment of Molluscum Contagiosum : A Randomized Double-Blind Vehicle-Controlled Trial. Poster presentation (Semi-Finalist), WCD, October 2007, Argentina
10. Verallo-Rowell VM. Author of Chapter X: Photoprotection in Pearl Grimes, et al. Eds., Aesthetics and Cosmetic Surgery in Darker Racial Ethnic Groups, USA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, July 2007
11. Verallo-Rowell VM. Evidence-Based Studies on coconut products to help women look younger at any age. Oral Presentation/Abstracts, Women’s Health and Alternative Therapies Meeting, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, June 2006
12. Verallo-Rowell VM. What’s New in the treatment of Melasma. Oral Presentation/Abstracts Annual Meeting, Malaysian Dermatological Association, Penang, Malaysia 19 August 2006
13. Verallo-Rowell, Vermén M., Rx: Coconuts (The Perfect Health Nut). Philadelphia, USA, XLibris, 2005
14. Dillague K, Verallo-Rowell VM, et al. Novel Antibacterial and Emollient Effects of Virgin Coconut Oil versus Virgin Olive Oil In Atopic Dermatitis: A Double Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Dermatitis, December 2008: 308-314
15. Dillague K, Tjundawan BS,, Verallo-Rowell VM. The Comparative Antibacterial Effects of Virgin Coconut Oil and Olive Oil in Atopic Dermatitis: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Poster Presentation/Abstracts American Contact Dermatitis Annual Meeting 2007
16. Carpo BG, Verallo-Rowell VM, Kabara J. Novel Antibacterial Activity of Monolaurin Compared with Conventional Antibiotics against Organisms from Skin Infections: An In Vitro Study. J of Drugs Dermatol October 2007; 6(10):981-988
17. Carpo BG, Verallo-Rowell VM, Kabara J. In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Monolaurin, a Coconut Lauric Acid Derivative, Compared with Conventional Antibiotics against Organisms from Skin Infections. First Prize, MMC Annual Residents Research Paper contest 2004.Poster Presentation/Abstracts American Academy of Dermatology 64th Annual Meeting 2006 March 3
18. Dim-Jamora KCC, Verallo-Rowell VM. 2 % Monolaurin Cream and 2 % mupirocin cream in the treatment of superficial bacterial skin infections: A double blind randomized controlled clinical trial. Protocol updated for more subjects. J Phil Dermatol Soc 2006
19. Verallo-Rowell, VM, Agero, ALC. A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra-virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Poster Presentation: Annual Contact Dermatitis Society Meeting, February 10, 2004, Washington D.
20. Agero Liza C, Verallo Rowell VM. A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. 2004 J Contact Dermatitis 15; (3) September 109-116
21. Verallo-Rowell VM. Forum on Photobiolog: Antioxidant Studies on Extra Virgin Coconut Oil using UVB Erythema, UVA Pigmentation, Sunburn Cells, and Thymine Dimer Products as Parameters. Oral Presentation/Abstracts, Korean Dermatologic Society Meeting June 9, 2004
22. Abraham ERL, Verallo-Rowell VM, Baello BQ. Testing of lauricidin vs. isopropyl alcohol for antisepsis of cutaneous hand microbes to prevent infection. Phil J Microbial and Infection Diseases 2000 Jul-Sept.; 3: 128-135
23. Abraham ERL and Verallo-Rowell VM Safety and Efficacy of Monolaurin, a Coconut Oil Extract vs. Ethyl Alcohol Rinse-Free Hand Antiseptic Gels on MMC Personnel’s Hands and Microbial Isolates. FIRST Prize Makati Medical Center 17th Resident’s Research Contest. J of the Phil Dermatol Society 2001 Nov. Vol 10 No. 2
24. Catherine L. Chong, M.D. and Vermén M. Verallo-Rowell, M.D. Skin and Cancer Foundation, Inc., Manila, Philippines: The photoprotective effects of soy isoflavone on multi-heritage Filipino brown skin exposed to solar simulated ultraviolet light through mexameter measured erythema, persistent pigment darkening, and by sunburn cell count. Poster Presentation/Abstracts, American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting Feb.18-2005, New Orleans, LA, USA
25. Verallo-Rowell VM. The Subtlety of Photosensitivity among the sun shy Asians. Oral Presentation/Abstracts Eighth Asia Pacific Environmental and Occupational Dermatology Symposium in cooperation with the Philippine Dermatological Society. October 2005. Theme: Clinical Dermatology in Asia 2005 and Beyond
26. Verallo-Rowell VM. Photopatch test positive melasma with subtle photosensitivity among sun shy Asians. Oral Presentation/Abstracts: 7th Asian Congress of Dermatology, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Sept. 2005
27. Abello MV, Verallo-Rowell VM. Randomized double-blind clinical trial to compare melanin reduction in melasma by melfade 3% vs. hydroquinone 4% both with glycolic acid 10% and a broad spectrum sunscreen. SECOND Prize MMC Annual Resident’s Paper Contest. J Philip Dermatol Soc 2002; 11(2): 38-42
28. Verallo-Rowell VM. Updates on Photopatch Testing in Melasma. Oral Presentation/Abstracts Photobioloogy Satellite Meeting. 16th Regional Conference of Dermatology, Singapore July 2004
29. Verallo-Rowell VM Interactives: Pigmentary Disorders (Part II) Oral Presentation / Abstracts: World Congress in Dermatology, Paris, France, July 1-5 2002, Co-Chairman with Drs. Kameyama, Hiroko (Japan) and Petit, Antoine (France), July 5, 2002
30. Verallo-Rowell VM. Photopatch testing in melasma. Oral Presentation/ Abstracts: International Pigment Cell Research Conference, Amsterdam, Sept. 13, 2002
31. Verallo-Rowell VM. Photopatch testing in melasma. Oral Presentation/ Abstracts: Contact Dermatitis Symposium at the 15th Regional Conference of Dermatology, Manila, November 12, 2002
32. Verallo-Rowell VM. Indoor UVA, visible and infrared light: proposed photogenesis and photoprotection in melasma. Oral Presentation/ Abstracts: The 6th Asian Dermatological Congress, Plenary Hall Cosmetic Dermatology Session, Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 11-13, 2001